- About Us
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Consumer Info
Like most fields in the medical profession, diagnostic medical sonographers (or ultrasound technicians) can specialize in a specific area within their field. While most people traditionally think of pregnancy when they hear the word “ultrasound,” rest assured as a diagnostic medical sonographer there are plenty of specialties for you to choose from within this field. Here are six common areas of specialization for sonographers.
Six Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Specializations
1. Abdominal Sonography: Yep, you guessed it. Within this field you will focus on imaging of the organs and systems of the abdomen. Abdominal sonographers also look at the nearby organs of the abdominal cavity, such as the kidney, liver and spleen. This aids the physician in diagnosing medical conditions, like kidney stones.
2. Neurosonography: Interested in learning more about the nervous system? As a neurosonographer, you will work alongside a neurologist and focus on detecting conditions of the brain and spine.
3. Obstetric and Gynecological (OBGYN) Sonography: Perhaps the most familiar type of ultrasound technician, the OBGYN sonographer creates images of infants in the womb. Besides being able to say “it’s a boy (or a girl),” as an OBGYN sonographer, you will specialize in the female reproductive system.
4. Vascular Sonography: Focus on veins, arteries and other circulatory system vessels as a vascular sonographer. Within this specialization you will focus on disorders that affect blood flow.
5. Breast Ultrasound: Similar to a mammogram, a breast ultrasound aids in the detection of breast cancer. While ultrasounds should never be used in place of a mammogram, breast ultrasounds are especially important in finding additional information and results that a mammogram has missed. For example, breast ultrasounds are used to see whether a breast lump is a fluid filled cyst or if it is a solid lump.
6. Musculoskeletal Sonography: As a musculoskeletal sonographer, you will work with orthopedic surgeons and/or sports physicians creating diagnostic imaging to detect conditions of the human skeleton, muscles, ligaments and tendons.
Whether you are currently in school for diagnostic medical sonography, or are contemplating furthering your education, there is a specialization for you. At American Institute, the diagnostic medical sonography program prepares you to sit for the Abdomen (AB) and/or Obstetrics and Gynecology (OBGYN) specialty examinations through the ARDMS. The program also provides you with a wide range of options for specialization after completing their training.
Get a degree that will give you choices with American Institute’s diagnostic medical sonographer program.
What It Takes To Become An Ultrasound Technician
February 16, 2018, All Locations – American Institute students, faculty, and staff brought focus to women’s heart health again in 2018 as they joined the National Wear Red Day and Go Red for Women movement by wearing their red and focusing on educating those within their circle of influence about heart disease in women. The […]
January 17, 2018, Margate, FL – Students in training to become Cosmetologists and Massage Therapists provided complimentary services to their local community in Margate, FL, as they kicked off 2018 with a New Year’s Open House. Attendees enjoyed sampling the services available at the Student Salon & Spa throughout the evening, including chair massages, mini-facials, […]