- About Us
- News & Events
- Contact Us
- Consumer Info
Massage therapy is an in-demand career, which makes it a great field to study. Employment for massage therapists is projected to grow 23% from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the national average for other occupations.* A career in massage therapy not only allows you to help others while expanding your knowledge of the human body, it can also provide you with flexibility, financial stability, and peace of mind. Still need motivation to look into this promising field? Check out these five reasons why massage therapy is the career to get into for 2014:
1. Class Time: Massage therapy program certificates can be earned in less than a year, in fact the American Institute day program is just 8 months long. The short length of the program means you can start your career as a massage therapist by this time next year.
2. Career Ready: Massage therapy classes are generally hands-on and provide you with the educational and job training skills needed to become a successful massage therapist, once licensed. This means you gain actual experience in class. Once licensed there are many career options. You can become a self-employed practitioner, work in a spa or alongside a health professional, or continue to develop your skills and specialties in one of the many modalities covered by the massage therapy program training, such as:
3. Flexible Hours: Some massage therapists have the ability to set their own hours around a flexible schedule. This means when your friends and family have to wake up early, you may be able to choose to start the day later. Where other jobs are 5 days a week, you could choose to work 4 days a week. By setting your own schedule and pace, you can find balance between your professional and personal interests.
4. Diverse Working Environments: Although opportunities can vary depending on city, experience and what type of massage you decide to go into, licensed massage therapists can work in spas, fitness centers, resorts, hospitals, salons, nursing homes, hotels, chiropractic clinics, and more.
5. Relaxation: Massage therapists typically work in calming, peaceful atmospheres that not only relax the client, but the therapist as well. Massage therapy helps to provide people with peace of mind and you could spend the entire day in a relaxed soothing atmosphere.
As you can see, a career in massage therapy comes with some pretty great benefits. If you are interested in a career in massage therapy, get started with American Institute.
Learn more: Effects of massage therapy.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Massage Therapists, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/massage-therapists.htm (visited June 12, 2014).
April 2, 2017, all locations – On April 2nd, American Institute campuses joined the world in celebrating “Light it up Blue” to help raise awareness about autism. Many staff and students came to class wearing blue, signifying their support for research and programs that assist the rising number of children and adults who live with […]
March 2017, all locations – According to the March of Dimes, every day babies are born sick or so small they can fit in the palm of a hand. To help support the organization’s efforts to improve neonatal care and infant health, the American Institute takes part in the annual “Blue Jeans for Babies” fundraiser. […]